(Lenexa, Kan., March 21, 2013) – Home repairs that create even a small amount of lead dust are enough to poison your child and put your family at risk. If you live in a home or apartment that was built before 1978 and are planning a renovation or repair project, make sure you renovate right with a Lead-Safe Certified contractor in accordance with EPA guidelines. He or she will know how to protect your family.
Common renovation activities like sanding, cutting, and demolition can create hazardous lead dust and chips by disturbing lead-based paint, which can be harmful to children and adults.
Increased awareness about lead-based paint hazards and lead-safe work practices for do-it-yourselfers will help reduce lead poisoning in children, pregnant women, other family members and workers.
Consumers with more questions can call EPA Region 7 at 1-800-223-0425 and ask to speak with a lead paint specialist.
Facts about lead
FACT: Lead exposure can harm young children and babies even before they are born.
FACT: Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
FACT: You can get lead in your body by breathing or swallowing lead dust, or by eating soil or paint chips containing lead.
FACT: You have many options for reducing lead hazards. In most cases, lead-based paint that is in good condition is not a hazard.
FACT: Removing lead-based paint improperly can increase the danger to your family.
If you think your home might have lead hazards, go to www.epa.gov/lead or call EPA Region 7 at 1-800-223-0425 and ask to speak with a lead paint specialist.